Send Q & A

Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulty with learning/ Special Educational Needs or Disability (SEND)?

Class Teacher

The responsibility of the Class Teacher is to:

Provide appropriate support for children who need help with the four areas of SEND.
Plan to provide effective and differentiated support to overcome barriers to learning.
Plan for children’s full participation in learning, and in physical and practical activities.
Help children to manage their behaviour and to take part in learning effectively and safely.
Help individuals to manage their emotions, particularly in relation to trauma or stress, in order to flourish and to participate in learning.
Ensure that principles of quality first teaching are embedded in all their practice.
SENCo – (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator) Mrs Catherine Brown

The SENCo manages the co-ordination, strategic development and implementation of this policy. She works within the Senior Management Team and with all teaching and support staff to:

Co-ordinate the provision for and develop and implement the responses to children’s special needs;
Provide support and advice to colleagues and parents and carers;
Contribute to and manage the records of all children with special educational needs;
Monitor the school-based assessment and analyse subsequent data that is generated as part of this process.
Act as link with external agencies and other support agencies;
Complete the documentation required by outside agencies and the LA;
Act as the link with parents so that they are actively involved in their child’s education;
Oversee the provision of personalised resources as necessary and a range of teaching materials to enable appropriate support to be offered;
Monitor and evaluate the special educational needs provision and report to the governing body;
Manage and delegate a range of resources and interventions (human and material), linked to children with SEND.

The Head Teacher: Mr Andrew Hastings
Is responsible for:

The day-to-day management of all aspects of the school; this includes the support for children with SEND.
The Head Teacher will delegate responsibility to the Senior Management Team, SENCo and class teachers where appropriate, but is ultimately responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
The Head Teacher must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about issues relating to SEND in liaison with the SENCo.
The SEN Governor: Mrs Selma Murphy
Is responsible for:

Making sure that the necessary support is provided for any child with SEND who attends the school.
School contact telephone number: 01223 576246

What are the different types of support available to children with SEND?

  1. Class teacher input, via excellent targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching)

For your child this would mean:

  • The teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • All teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • A range of differing teaching strategies are employed in order to involve all children fully in learning in class, including practical, hands-on activities, first-hand experiences, use of visual cues and artefacts wherever possible.
  • Any specific individual strategies are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s progress is monitored and assessed and any gaps in their understanding/learning or specific needs identified, with the result that extra support is put in place to help them make the best possible progress.
  1. Specific differentiated small group work/1:1

Interventions which may be:

  • Run in the classroom or a group room.
  • Run by a teacher or a teaching assistant (TA).
  1. Specialist groups run by outside agencies and professionals, e.g. Speech and Language therapy

This means a pupil has been identified by the SENCo (in liaison with the class teacher) as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from

  • Local Authority central services, such as the Specialist Teaching Team, Visual Impairment or Auditory Impairment Services.
  • Outside agencies such as the Education Psychology Service (EPS), Speech & Language Therapy Service (SALT).

What could happen:

  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional, e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and you to understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them more effectively in school.
  • The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support. This will be written in the form of a report.
  1. Specified Individual support

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.

This is usually provided via an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small-group on-going support.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups (“Including All Children” documentation from LA).

Your child may also need on-going specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

  • Local Authority central services.
  • Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy Service (SALT), Occupational Therapy of Physiotherapy.

For your child this would mean:

  • The school (or you personally) can request that Local Authority Services (Student Assessment and Resources Team or START) carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the type of support that needs to be provided for your child to make progress.
  • After the request has been made to the ‘Panel of Professionals’ (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case, they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s specific learning needs.
  • After the reports have all been sent in, the Panel of Professionals will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong. If this is the case, an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP) will be drawn up. If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support.
  • The EHC Plan will contain long-term objectives for your child and will outline the type of support and strategies that are necessary to help your child to succeed. It may also name the outside agencies which need to be involved with your child over the longer term.

How can I let the school know that I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?

If you have concerns about your child’s progress, you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially, either at one of the parents’ evenings or at an individual time agreed with the teacher, to suit you before or after school.
If you continue to be concerned that your child is not making progress, you may speak to the SENCo or other members of the Senior Management Team.
The school SEN Governor can also be contacted for support.

How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child?

If your child is identified as not making adequate progress, the school will set up a meeting with you to discuss this in more detail and to:

  • Listen to any concerns you may have.
  • Plan any additional support your child may need.
  • Discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child if necessary.

How is extra support allocated to children, and how do they progress in their learning?

The school budget, received from Cambridgeshire LEA, includes money towards supporting children with SEND.

  • The Head Teacher, together with members of the Senior Management Team and school governors, decides on the deployment of resources for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities taking in account the needs of the school population.
  • All the information about SEND in the school is discussed at regular meetings between the Management Team and Teachers and from this information decisions are made about resources, training and support.
  • The school identifies the needs of SEND pupils on a provision map. This identifies all support given within school and is reviewed regularly and changes made as necessary, so that the needs of children are met, and resources are deployed as effectively as possible.
  • Children with an EHC Plan will have specified targets and strategies outlined within their plan, which will be met with the help of the additional resources allocated to the plan.

Who are the other people providing services to children with SEND in this school?

School provision

  • Teachers are responsible for teaching all children in their class including SEND groups/individuals.
  • Teaching Assistants mainly working inclusively within the class but also leading interventions in group rooms with either individual children or small groups.
  • Trained TAs delivering speech & language therapy sessions under the direction of Speech therapists.

Local Authority Provision 

  • Specialist Teaching Team members providing consultation and support for teaching staff.
  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Sensory Services for children with visual or hearing needs
  • Parent Partnership Service – available to support parents of SEND children

Health Provision

  • Additional Speech and Language Therapy input to provide a higher level of service to the school
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy
  • Child Development Centre (CDC)
  • Community Paediatrician

How are the teachers in school helped to work with children with SEND, and what training do teachers have?

It is the role of the SENCo together with the Management Team to support the class teachers in planning for their children with SEND and providing personalised targeted resources to support children where the need has been identified.

The school provides regular training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children and to extend their repertoire of skills by offering good practice and new strategies for all children, including those with SEND. This includes whole staff training on SEND issues, such as Autism Spectrum continuum (ASC), speech and language difficulties etc.

As other specific training opportunities arise, these are offered to key staff according to their skill set and the children that they support. Good practice is then shared with other key members of staff. This may be offered by school staff or outside agencies either in house or externally.

Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class.

Ongoing staff-training sessions are held throughout the year during staff meetings and on Inset days, to update teachers’ knowledge and support the needs of new members. Regular TA meetings are scheduled to discuss SEND matters, share concerns and good practice and provide informal training sessions.

The school SENCo has the national accreditation for SENCos and has qualifications in dealing with Autism, Dyslexia, SEBD issues amongst others. It is the duty of the SENCo to keep up to date with current research and thinking in all areas of SEND.

How will the teaching be adapted for children with SEND?

We acknowledge that children learn in different ways and when planning lessons, wherever possible, we try to ensure that lessons are adapted to meet children’s visual, auditory and kinaesthetic needs.

  • Class teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class.
  • The content of lessons and activities are differentiated in order to accommodate individual children’s needs.
  • Support staff, under the direction of the class teacher, can adapt planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.
  • Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in small group situations.
  • Planning and teaching will be adapted, on a daily basis if needed, to meet your child’s learning needs and an emphasis is placed on the use of developments in ICT and visual resources to support SEND pupils.

How will we measure the progress of your child in school?

Your child’s progress will be continually monitored by his/her class teacher in a number of formative and summative ways to gain a clear, whole picture of your child’s attainments.

Teachers formally review children’s progress with the Head teacher and SENCo every term in reading, writing and numeracy during Pupil Progress Meetings (PPM).

Where necessary, children will have an Individual education plan based on the current targets they are working towards in order to close any gaps in attainment and any interventions that have been put in place to support them in achieving those targets will be recorded on their provision map. Progress against these targets will be reviewed regularly, evidence for judgements assessed and a future plans made.

The progress of children with an EHC Plan will be formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education such as parents, educational and health professionals.

What support do we have for you as a parent of a child with SEND?

  • The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school, so that similar strategies can be used and to cement the link between home and school.
  • The SENCo is readily available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with either by the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a written report, which will be shared with you by the SENCo.
  • Personal progress towards targets and provision maps will be reviewed with your involvement at least once per term.
  • Any homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual requirements.
  • A home-school contact book may be used to support communication with you when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.

How is Colville Primary School accessible to children with SEND?

  • The KS1 building and the lower floor of the KS2 building are wheel chair accessible.
  • There are disabled changing and toilet facilities.
  • We ensure wherever possible that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
  • Extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEND.

How will we support your child when they are joining our school, leaving or moving on to another class?

Transitions can be difficult for any child and particularly those with SEND, so we take steps at Colville to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible.

If your child is joining us from another school:

  • The SENCo will visit pre-school settings with the Foundation Stage staff where appropriate.
  • If your child would be helped by a personalised photo book to support them in understanding moving on, then one will be made for them.
  • Time is spent liaising with staff from the child’s previous school and with any agencies that have previously been involved with the child and note taken of any effective strategies or techniques that have previously been employed.

If your child is moving to another school:

  • We will contact the school SENCo and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be put in place for your child. Where possible, a planning meeting will take place with the SENCo from the new school.
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
  • If your child would be helped by a book or social story to support them in understanding moving on, then one will be made for them personally.
  • If your child is in year 6 and identified as having SEND, additional opportunities will be made for your child to visit their new school setting for familiarity and discussions will be held with the staff of their prospective secondary school in order to assist with a smooth transition.

When moving classes in school:

  • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and planning meetings will take place with the new teacher. Provision maps act as historical documents that follow your child through school and copies of these will be shared with the new teacher in advance of transition. Any targets as mentioned on Individual Education Plans or in EHC plans will be shared with the new teacher.
  • There are many transition resources in school, which can be implemented into lessons in the summer term to help support your child in moving class, for instance a letter to your child’s new class teacher activity or pupil passport. A changeover morning is held during the summer term when your child will have chance to get to know their new teacher better.

How will we support your child’s emotional and social development?

We recognise that some children have extra emotional and social needs that need to be supported and nurtured. These needs can manifest themselves in a number of ways, including behavioural difficulties, anxieties, and being uncommunicative.

All classes follow a structured PSHE (Personal, Social, Health and Emotional education) curriculum to support this development. However, for those children who find aspects of this difficult we offer:

  • Learning Mentor provision e.g. small group work, 1:1 sessions based on emotional behaviour.
  • Extra-Curricular clubs to aid the promotion and development of social skills.
  • Targeted resources e.g. personalised social stories.
  • Social communication groups
  • Nurture groups in both KS1 and 2.
  • Lunchtime and playtime support through planned activities and groups.
  • 1:1 mentors for children, to break down the emotional barriers children have to their learning for instance low self-esteem.
  • Counselling?


Catherine Brown SENCo